Wallis Institute Annual Conference
4th Annual Conference
September 26-27, 1997
The Wallis Institute organized its 4th Annual Conference on September 26-27, 1997 at Holiday Inn Airport. The speakers and papers are listed in the order of presentation at the conference.
Session I : Social Groups, Tolerance and Conflict
- "The Rationality of Fear : Political Opportunism and Ethnic Conflict"
Rui deFigueiredo, Stanford political science
(with Barry Weingast)
- "A Theory of Constitutional Standards and Civil Liberty"
Roger Lagunoff, Georgetown Economics
Session II : Modern Approaches to Classic Problems
- "The Coase Theorem with Private Information"
Richard McKelvey, Caltech Social Science
(with Talbot Page)
- "Large Poisson Games"
Roger Myerson, Northwestern MEDS
Session III : Jurisdiction and Efficiency
- "Distributive Policy Making as a Source of Inefficiency in Representative Democracies"
Stephen Coate, Penn Economics
- "Constitutional Rules of Exclusion in Jurisdiction Formation"
Suzanne Scotchmer, Berkeley Economics
(with Pilippe Jehiel)
- "Does Fiscal Decentralization Increase Innovation ?"
Koleman Strumpf, North Carolina Economics